We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Thames path - hammersmith to Brentford - best car free route for commuting?

R1180m 18 Jan 15:31  

Bike:

Looking for savvy cyclists who can help a newbie commuter .

I'm moving to hammersmith (near fulham reach / hammersmith bridge ). I need to commute to great West Road in Brentford (near the brentford overground train station ). What is the best /safest/ lowest car volume / path?
I've spent hours googling blogs and mapping routes but can't piece it together. I have to get over there and scout options. Hoping someone can get me started, ideally I'll have it figured out before I move in car it impacts where I select a new flat.

On the south bank option:
I'm considering crossing to south side... but hammersmith bridge looks daunting, not sure how far the path connects on the north bank between hammersmith and chiswick for cyclists. Where are the two best crossings to get me to the cycle path from hammersmith and then to cross back to Brentford? Do any bridges have segregated cycle lanes or allow cycle and pedestrian to share? Going from hsmith to brentford, How far on the north side can I get before having to cross or leave the path? Which bridge should I take south? Then once connecting back from southbank up to Brentford where is safest crossing? (Need to land near the beebtford train station )

On the north bank option:
The other route I'm considering is picking up the a4 cycle lanes at the esso at the chiswick round about. I like how the bike lane is mostly off the main rd except bus pull overs. Anyone know if there is a safe easy way to grab that connection coming From the river north bank? Do I have to go through hogan the and ellesmere in chiswick? How long can I ride the north bank until I have to cut up and connect to a4?

Really grateful to any experienced riders who know those areas and the connections or side roads and can offer advice

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.