indicates every 2 miles
|Cycle Route Details|
|Route Name||Ambleside Circular via Loughrigg Off Road|
|Distance : miles (km)||12.21 (19.65)|
|Posted By||H Martin|
|(login and provide your weight for more accurate calories burned)|
|1) Start at bike treks, turn left.
2) Pass fire station, left into Stoney lane.
3) Follow path to bridge and cross.
4) Turn right over cattle grid & follow path.
5) Pass stepping stones & carry on until you reach a road and the next water crossing.
6) Don't cross the water, turn left onto bridle way.
7) Follow bridle way past Rydal water and up rocky hill past grassmere water.
8) Through gate, cross road & follow road past YMCA.
9) Nice down hill weaving road to Elterwater.
10) Pass pub to stream, don't cross bridge turn left and follow bridle way.
11) Pass waterfall & carry on to Chester Cafe at Skelwith Bridge.
12) Don't cross bridge, turn left and left again up steep hill.
13) Follow this road & turn left at the top & carry until you see Loughrigg Tarn on your right.
14) Over styles and circle Tarn.
15) Past campsite, off path back onto road & turn right & then left back down steep hill to Skelwith bridge.
16) Cross Skelwith bridge, go left & follow to Skelwith fold.
17) Go through Skelwith fold & turn right.
18) Follow this road until you reach the drunken duck.
19) Left at the Drunken duck, follow signs to Ambleside.
20) At Clappersgate turn right. At next water way don't cross, cross road & get on cycle path.
21) Follow stream to bridge where you started.
22) Over bridge & follow path back to Stoney road.
|Landmarks/Pubs for lunch/Sites to see?|
|Stoney road. Bridge & cattle grid. Stepping stones. Rydal water, Grassmere water. YMCA. Elterwater & pub. Skelwith waterfall. Chester cafe & Skelwith bridge. Little Loughrigg Tarn. Skelwith fold. Drunken Duck. Clappersgate. Stream & path back to ambleside.
|Cycling Clubs located in this region|