indicates every 2 miles
|Cycle Route Details|
|Route Name||Helensburgh Hill to Kilcreggan Circular|
|Distance : miles (km)||52.05 (83.77)|
|(login and provide your weight for more accurate calories burned)|
|1. First we have the warm up. Go west from the car park along West Clyde Street then turn up Rhu Road Higher. There is a little climb to West Montrose Street then flat to Sinclair Street. If you wish you can turn right back to West Clyde Street to do the warm up loop again. If you are already warm turn left and climb up Sinclair Street (B832) and carry on over the hill to the Cross Keys roundabout. NOTE there is a cycle path that runs alongside the road all the way to the roundabout if you wish.
2. Turn left into Glen Fruin and climb into and ride the length of the Glen, climbing out at the far end. NOTE there are several cattle grates. Now there is a sharp descent to the A814, at the bottom turn right.
3. Carry on down to the roundabout at the HMNB Clyde North Gate and turn right up the hill. Go straight across the next roundabout and carry on to the Whistlefield roundabout. Turn left and descend towards Garelochead.
4. Just before you get into Garelochead proper turn right onto the B833 and ride down the side of the Gareloch Until you get to Peaton Road. Turn Right and climb. As you get to the top turn right and cross over to the contractors road. Turn left and descend towards Coulport.
5. At the bottom of the hill there is a roundabout turn left and ride along the side of Loch Long until you get to the other end of Peaton Road. Turn left and climb as far as Barbour Road and turn right. Ride the length of Barbour Road as it undulates along the Rosneath Peninsular. Turn left and climb over the top and back up the side of the Garhloch. Back to Peaton Road, if youâ€™ve had enough ride on to Garelochead and back to Helensburgh, otherwise turn left to re-climb hill turn right at the top and back to the contractors road. This time turn right and ride back to the Whistlefield roundabout.
6. Cross the Whistlefield roundabout and keep going until you descend towards the HMNB Clyde North Gate. Turn left towards Helensburgh. You can bail out at this point and return along the Gareloch through Rhu and back to Helensburgh. However if you need another burn turn left and climb back into Glen Fruin (though not very long this will probably be the hardest climb of the day). Follow the road through to a T junction and turn right to climb out of the other end of the Glen.
7. At the B823 turn right and gently climb to the top of Helensburgh and enjoy your last descent. Watch out for cars turning out onto the main road if front of you as you descend. At the first set of traffic lights turn right and now gently ride down West King Street to start your cool down. At Cairndhu Ave turn left and then left at the sea front and back to the traffic lights Turn right into the car park. If you need to you can turn left and do the cool down loop again.
8. Now stretch and take your recovery drink.
|Landmarks/Pubs for lunch/Sites to see?|
|Helensburgh Cycles East Clyde Street
|posted by:Grez Keith||Rating :||difficult :|
|Dig deep and get the fruin climb done at the end for monsterous satisfaction.|
|posted by:Drew Lyall||Rating :||difficult :|
|I've cycled a slight variation on this route, and would suggest that riders experience the agony then ecstacy of cycling up the 17% gradient of the Peaton Road from the Cove side, followed by the hugely exhilirating descent to the Rosneath Rd. |