We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

LEJOG route for non- stop cycle

1 2 >
rich87 22 Mar 12:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi All,

I'm planning on cycling solo from Lands End to John O'Groats in May 2011 non- stop.

Training is going well, but having a bit of trouble planning the route. I'm basically looking for the shortest and flattest route I can find to get between the two points as fast as possible.

Obviously the route planning needs to be really detailed so I know where all the lay- bys in the roads are and where I'll be able to temporarily stop and meet the support car etc. It would also be good to be able to work out where the inclines/ declines are so that I'm able to plan where I'm going to be at certain times - I'd like to try to avoid the roads closest to the towns/ cities when they are busiest so I'll need to plan what time I'll start the ride to do this.

Does anyone know if the routes used by others on a similar LEJOG cycle are available from anywhere? Or failing this what the best resources would be for me to put my own route together?

I've noticed the roads around Glasgow go pretty close to the city, is there any way around this if I want a short fast route?

Finally, I always assumed with the prevailing winds that it would be best to start from Lands End, however I've noticed a number of people recently starting from John O'Groats. Are there any other advantages from starting at one end over the other? I'd prefer to start at John O'Groats and get the Scottish Highlands out the way at the beginning, but had always been told Lands End would be a better starting point.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

If you're interested in what I'm doing you can follow me at www.richardwestover.com

Cheers,

Rich

dudley 22 Mar 12:52  

Bike:

My Profile
i think memory map (www.memory-map.co.uk) will give you a detailed map including topography for inclines declines etc.

I'm sure you have to pay for it, but having seen a memory-map projection for an 'adventure race' i'm doing, it may well be the thing you're looking for.

I think the only way you'll find laybys is to actually drive the route.

you are probably better off picking small villages etc to meet. The car can at least wait at a pub or wherever, usually easy to stop, and water etc will be available.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

dudley 22 Mar 12:58  

Bike:

My Profile
what's you projected timescale for the run?

it's all beyond me! I'd love to do a LEJOG< but i think a few days, and hearty B&B breakfasts on the way would be in order!

rich87 23 Mar 07:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Dudley.

I was afraid it would be some sort of service like that - I'm on a very tight budget and there seem to be new costs and expense round every corner! Hence I'm trying to use my website to attract corporate sponsorship as well as raising money for charity.

I'll have a look at memory map over the weekend and see whether I can make use of it. I was hoping there was some sort of resource that's available from the people at LEJOG club or something that most people doing the route tend to use - but it doesn't seem that way.

I only actually started road cycling in February, although I have a reasonable level of natural fitness, so I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for. The aim of doing the ride is to prove that anything you put your mind to is achievable so I'm just hoping to make it to the other end before I fall asleep!

However, I'm hoping that somewhere around the 50 hour mark will be possible, not going to be breaking the 44 hour record. I've got my first long distance cycle event coming up in May - Castle 100 - which is 100 miles across Kent, so hopefully I'll have more of an idea after that.

Rich

Follow me at www.richardwestover.com

dudley 23 Mar 09:46  

Bike:

My Profile
blimey, averaging 17.8 mph for 50 hours.
I struggle to do that for an afternoon!

good luck!

how someone managed to do it in 44 hours, averaging over 20mph, is beyond me!

jakesgaffe 26 Mar 13:28  

Bike:

Im doing LeJog in May this year, albeit we are not doing it non-stop, so good luck on that.. Take a look at my site at www.bmfend2end2010.com our route is only just over 900miles, which is over 100 miles shorter than most recommended routes. And other that Devon and Cornwall most of it is not too bad on the hills. My site has detailed daily maps, which may be of assistance.

Good Luck on your venture..

Mick

carricks 09 Jan 11:34  

Bike:

Hi. Many lejog routes travel through from Dumfries on the country roads via Dunscore and Moniaive ending up having a hearty bacon or egg roll and tea or coffee at our Stag Tea Room and Garden in Carsphairn. We are a popular waiting point for cars, etc. and there is a lovely B&B in the village. Please contact us 01644 460211 if we can be of any more assistance. Chris & Linda

bazuti 05 Jul 01:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Ref: Lejog record - Paul Carbutt broke the record for what was a 1000 miles when he did it.Somewhere inside 48 hours, he was an incredible cyclist and held records at all kinds of disciplines.Sadly he died aged 53 from Motor Neurones Disease.

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Birmingham to Stafford Canal Loop

seomind 28 Feb 12:07  

Bike:

My Profile
This post is very simple to read and appreciate without leaving any details out. Great work! Photojobz Review

seomind 28 Feb 12:10  

Bike:

My Profile
Welcome to the party of my life here you will learn everything about me. Ravi Abuvala Review

seomind 28 Feb 12:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Ravi Abuvala Review

seomind 28 Feb 12:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily Arbonne Review

seomind 28 Feb 12:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information. Arbonne Review

HarryJohnson 01 Mar 01:27  

Bike:

My Profile
[url=https://www.cycle-route.com/forum/Reply-To-1392.html]q[/url]
q

mrseod 09 Aug 09:30  

Bike:

My Profile
I think it could be more general if you get a football sports activity BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 09:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 09:38  

Bike:

My Profile
This was among the best posts and episode from your team it let me learn many new things. BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 10:48  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 11:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 11:09  

Bike:

My Profile
This is very useful post for me. This will absolutely going to help me in my project. BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 11:14  

Bike:

My Profile
I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 11:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Very informative post ! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign ! BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 11:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! BAM University

mrseod 09 Aug 11:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. BAM University

OKBet 04 Sep 03:46  

Bike:

My Profile
We have a site for sports games. You must be interested. free online blackjack with other players

atlas77 05 Oct 06:41  

Bike:

I don't know much about the route so I'm looking forward to receiving some information about it.
Meanwhile, please check out my site: cara main slot

seoexpert21 30 Nov 07:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! band 7 nhs take home pay

Fancy2020 27 Dec 08:42  

Bike: Mingdun 29'

My Profile
good post, keep it up

colorgame 14 Jan 23:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Ikaw ay tunay na talentado sa pagsusulat, at inaabangan ko ang lahat ng iyong mga gawa. online tong its
pula puti

adoroshoes 13 Mar 05:32  

Bike:

My Profile

Shop the latest collection of casual shoes for men at Adoro. Find the perfect pair to elevate your style and comfort.

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.