We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Changing Gears almost impossible in one direction

geordieboy 31 Oct 07:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I am trying to renovate twist type gear changer on a raleigh street wolf bike for my grandson.(it was given to him by a friend)but the gear changer is very stiff in one direction.

The gear changer changes from 1 to 6 effortlessly. It changes from the big spocket down with no problems but trying to change up requires a great deal of effort to twist the gear changer from 6 down.
Could someone please point me in the right direction on the possible cause and how to rectify it

Geordieboy

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Cramlington Loop via Dinington
happy 31 Oct 07:53  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hey Geordieboy,

When you change down the gears, the spring will be contracting and hence if it's a really stiff spring it will be really easy to do. However changing up gears you will be expanding the spring, and clearly it's being stubborn.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure it's well lubricated with oil. Lubricate all the cables as well starting at your brake lever, all the way down to the rear mech. This should help ease it a little.

Let us know how you get on.

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

jw4g 02 Nov 10:03  

Bike:

There are many possible causes. The components on many kids bikes are not of the best quality, so it could be that one or more parts is worn or even didn't work that well in the first place.
I suggest first you identify what component is causing the problem. Remove the gear cable. Check the condition of the cable. If it is frayed at any point that may be your problem - replace it. Check the derailleur moves freely throughout its range of movement - check for excessive dirt or obstructions. Check the gear cable outers are not kinked, and that the exposed parts of the gear cable run are not obstructed. Check the shifter moves freely when disconnected from the gear cable. If the shifter doesn't move freely, you may need to take it apart and check for wear, or there could be some foreign object that is obstructing the mechanism. Taking the shifter apart, watch out because there will likely be springs and other parts which could pop out and get lost.
Good luck!

geordieboy 06 Nov 15:04  

Bike:

My Profile
I have had to admit defeat. I diconnected the cable from the derailer and checked the movement of the gear changer up and down and seemed perfectly alright. But when I connected it again I had the same problem. I did spot a bit of rust at the point the cable passed through the plastic guide at the bottom of the frame so I changed the cable but with the same result. I had a look at the derailer and it did seem quite firm when I applied manual presure. As I am new to biking It still has been a good exercise in learning a bit about derailers, setting them up and familurising myself with the parts. Thanks for the replies.

Geordieboy

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Cramlington Loop via Dinington

cycle route 08 Aug 08:21  

Bike:

My Profile
“Repelis24 keeps me ahead with their advanced sports gear.” repelis24 sports gears

cycle route 15 Aug 11:50  

Bike:

My Profile
F*ckin’ remarkable things here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail? https://king88.toys/dang-nhap-king88/

umarmalik 16 Aug 18:25  

Bike:

My Profile
It sounds like the twist-type gear changer on your Raleigh Street Wolf might be facing a couple of common issues. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you diagnose and possibly fix the problem:

**1. Check for Cable Tension:
Inspect the Cable: Ensure that the gear cable isn’t frayed or damaged. If it is, you’ll need to replace it.
Adjust Tension: If the cable tension is too high, it can make shifting difficult. Use the barrel adjuster on the gear lever or derailleur to fine-tune the tension. Turn it counterclockwise to increase tension, which might help with shifting up.
**2. Lubricate the Gear Changer:
Apply Lubricant: Sometimes, a stiff gear changer can be due to lack of lubrication. Apply a light lubricant like bike-specific grease or oil to the mechanism of the gear changer.
Clean the Gear Changer: Dirt and grime can cause stiffness. Clean the gear changer carefully with a cloth and a bit of degreaser if necessary.
**3. Inspect the Gear Changer and Derailleur:
Check for Obstructions: Make sure there’s nothing obstructing the movement of the gear changer or derailleur.
Look for Damage: Inspect both the gear changer and derailleur for any signs of damage or misalignment. Any bent or broken parts will need to be replaced.
**4. Examine the Gear Cables and Housing:
Inspect for Kinks or Damage: Look for any kinks, bends, or damage in the gear cables and housing. Replace any damaged sections.
Ensure Proper Routing: Make sure the cables are properly routed through the housing and aren’t pinched or bent sharply.
**5. Check the Derailleur Alignment:
Adjust the Derailleur: Ensure that the derailleur is properly aligned with the cogs and is not out of adjustment. This might involve tweaking the derailleur’s high and low limit screws.
**6. Consult a Professional:
Seek Expert Help: If you’re unable to resolve the issue or if the problem persists, it might be worth taking the bike to a professional bike shop for a thorough check-up.

umarmalik 16 Aug 18:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Potential Causes and Solutions:
Cable Tension:

Cause: The shifter might be experiencing increased tension in one direction due to cable issues.
Solution: Check the cable tension by shifting through the gears. If the cable is too tight, adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter or derailleur to relieve some tension. If the cable is frayed or rusted, consider replacing it.
Cable Routing and Lubrication:

Cause: A stiff or sticky cable can cause difficulty in shifting.
Solution: Inspect the cable and housing for any damage or kinks. Clean and lubricate the cable and housing if needed. Ensure the cable is properly routed and not pinched or obstructed.
Shifter Mechanism:

Cause: Internal components of the shifter might be dirty or worn.
Solution: Disassemble the shifter carefully (refer to the shifter’s manual) and clean the internal parts. Apply a small amount of lubricant designed for bike components to the moving parts.
Derailleur Alignment:

Cause: Misalignment of the derailleur can affect shifting performance.
Solution: Check the alignment of the derailleur. Ensure that it is properly aligned with the cassette and the chain. Adjust the derailleur’s limit screws and indexing if necessary.
Gear Cassette and Chain:

Cause: A worn or dirty cassette and chain can also cause shifting problems.
Solution: Inspect the cassette and chain for wear or damage. Clean and lubricate them as needed. If they are worn out, replace them.
Steps to Troubleshoot:
Inspect the Shifter: Ensure there is no visible damage or obstruction.
Adjust Cable Tension: Use the barrel adjuster to fine-tune the cable tension.
Lubricate: Apply lubricant to the cable and internal shifter mechanism.
Check Derailleur Alignment: Verify that the derailleur is properly aligned and functioning.
Inspect and Clean: Clean and check the cassette and chain for wear.
Additional Tips:
Consult the Manual: If you have a manual for the shifter, it might provide specific maintenance or adjustment instructions.
Seek Professional Help: If these steps don’t resolve the issue, consider taking the bike to a professional mechanic for a thorough check-up.

cycle route 17 Aug 06:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Nicely We definitely liked studying it. This particular topic procured by you is extremely efficient for correct preparing. non dual teachers

mazharabdullah123 17 Aug 08:29  

Bike:

My Profile
The heart of your writing whilst appearing agreeable in the beginning, did not sit perfectly with me after some time. Someplace throughout the paragraphs you actually were able to make me a believer but just for a while. I still have got a problem with your leaps in assumptions and you would do well to fill in all those gaps. When you actually can accomplish that, I would surely end up being fascinated. a course in miracles podcast

cycle route 17 Aug 11:37  

Bike:

My Profile
This is certainly also quite a very good putting up many of us really seasoned hunting by way of. It can be not even close each day we've got threat to view a little something. Fortune Tiger

mazharabdullah123 17 Aug 11:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Quickly our own web site will, no doubt definitely turn into well regarded together with practically all running any website family members, due to its careful content and evaluate posts. Fortune Tiger

SadiqSabir 20 Aug 10:47  

Bike:

My Profile
After study many of the web sites for your website now, we genuinely much like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will also be checking back soon. Pls consider my internet site too and inform me what you think. condos for sale in riviera maya mexico

penduu 31 Aug 08:23  

Bike:

My Profile
produce,I thought overall often the “invisible” men and women probably would not discover i am, pointless, buyers anything like me, where ever all of the fireflies are just like the actual bluish event, plenty to pay off marvelous a sufficient quantity of. Buy IG Accounts

penduu 06 Sep 04:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the writeup. I definitely agree with what you are saying. I have been talking about this subject a lot lately with my father so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed! Cellucare Reviews

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.