We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Advice on Scottish cycle. John O Groats to Carlisle

1 2 >
binny 09 Sep 03:38  

Bike:

I am planning to come to Scotland in May 2012 to cycle from John O Groats to Carlisle. I am looking for a route that is scenic and on quiet roads. Could someone tell me, is the road across the top of Scotland to Durness scenic? Someone said it was boring? If so what route is recommended. I aim to go about 50 miles a day.
Also is the A816 from Oban a relatively quiet road. I realise its a main road but am hoping it doesn't get too much traffic.

Finally can you get a train with bikes all the way to John O groats. I have googled and keep coming up with a bus that doesn't take bikes!

Thanks for any advice.

Binny

txbnet 10 Sep 03:48  

Bike:

My Profile
There is no Rail station at John O'Groats. You'd have to bike it from Wick (16 miles) or Thurso (about 20 miles). There may be a taxi bus, but I didn't see one. Don't forget to book your bike on the train, its free and you get a voucher to attach to your bike. Rail stewards might refuse you travel without it if the train is busy.

The route along the top of the Scottish coastline past Dounreay is OK, not too boring, nice view of the sea rolling in at Bettyhill. From there you could take a very remote road via Altnaharra to Lairg. Its about 40 miles and is single track. It is complete wilderness and the only vehicles that may pass you would be Forestry logging trucks and they will give you plenty of space.

The road along the lochs is very nice visiting some nice villages, Glenmorriston, Tarbet and others. Don't know of the Oban route.

Good luck!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

binny 10 Sep 05:57  

Bike:

This is great info. Thanks a lot. I had looked at that route via Altnaharra and will definitely add that to my route.
Binny

rustyspoke 10 Sep 06:52  

Bike:

My Profile
I can post you a route that takes in some very quiet roads prett much along the places already suggested reply if you want me to post it here.

binny 10 Sep 08:30  

Bike:

yes please post your route. I am from South Africa and just working off road map so need as much local knowledge as possible. I have ordered ordinance survey maps so will be able to see all the small roads when they arrive.
Thanks
Binny

rustyspoke 12 Sep 14:50  

Bike:

My Profile
The route I went when doing JOG to LE
JOG to Bettyhill
Tongue to ALTNAHARRA
DALCHORK
a836 to lairg
to Bonar Bridgefollow 836 to Junction of B9176
HEAD TO ALNES
STAY WITH UNCLASSIFIED ROADRUNNING ALONG SIDE A9
CONTINUE TO DINGWALL
THEN ON TO CONTIN
VIA A834
THEN TAKE A835 TO CORSTAN
THEN A832
TO aCHNASHEEN
A890 TO STOMERFERRY
HEAD TO WARDS NOSTIE A87 HEAD EAST TO UNVERGARRY
STAY WITH A82 PAST LOCH LOCHY
ON TO FORT WILLIAM
TO BALLCHULISH
This will get you out of the high land region the route my seem to use main roads but it was part of the route I used.
Its very queit in places but not really any real busy placeswhen you get yo Ballchulish you have options if you want to a more secenic route let me know if you need more information.

seomind 01 Mar 10:31  

Bike:

My Profile
I have been searching to find a comfort or effective procedure to complete this process and I think this is the most suitable way to do it effectively. Cody Sperber Review

seomind 01 Mar 10:34  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fantastic website , thanks for sharing. Cody Sperber Review

seomind 01 Mar 10:37  

Bike:

My Profile
I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. Green Compass Reviews

seomind 01 Mar 10:40  

Bike:

My Profile
If you don"t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries Green Compass Reviews

seomind 01 Mar 10:43  

Bike:

My Profile
This was incredibly an exquisite implementation of your ideas Green Compass Reviews

jack00 28 Mar 06:01  

Bike:

My Profile
With its advanced air filtering and circulation capabilities, CoolBreeze can help improve air quality in your home. This helps reduce the amount of dust, mold, and other contaminants in the air, which can be beneficial to your health. https://coolbreezehq.com/best-ventless-air-conditioner/

asad664 18 May 16:25  

Bike:

My Profile
As the owner of mp3juice, I am proud to introduce our platform as one of the most innovative and user-friendly music platforms available today.

asad664 13 Jun 08:19  

Bike:

My Profile
ChatGPT Login Online is an advanced AI chatbot trained by OpenAI which interacts in a conversational way. The dialogue format makes it possible for chatgpt login to answer followup questions.

ahsanrashid 12 Mar 05:23  

Bike:

My Profile
i am seeing new dress for girls

Meerak 13 Mar 02:19  

Bike:

My Profile

Discover the new lawn dress design at Meerak. Stay trendy with our collection of new and stylish lawn dresses.

Jazminpk 13 Mar 03:15  

Bike:

My Profile
With a broad range of colors and styles, we offer the best Summer Collection online at jazminpk. We present the latest summer dresses with premium quality fabric. So, get your favorite dresses online today.

mohagni 13 Mar 03:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Discover a variety of stylish trousers design that is perfect for any occasion. Our collection offers a wide range of classic to modern styles to enhance your personality. Explore different cuts, colors, and patterns to find the perfect trousers that elevate your outfit and make you inspairation. Shop now and enhance your wardrobe with the latest trouser designs.

adoroshoes 13 Mar 04:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Step up your style game with stylish shoes that will make you look amazing! Crafted with quality materials and modern designs, these shoes are perfect for any occasion. Whether you're dressing up for a night out or just want to stay comfortable on your daily commute, stylish shoes will bring the right amount of flair to your ensemble. Make heads turn and feel confident walking confidently with stylish shoes!

Gulaal 13 Mar 05:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Checkout our online store to find the perfect wedding dresses for your big day. Explore our beautiful collection of elegant, classic wedding dresses that make you feel like a princess. Get the outfit of your dreams by shopping right now.

servisfootwear 13 Mar 05:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Take your athletic performance to the next level with Servis' collection of ladies sports shoes. Designed for comfort and performance, our range of shoes will help you reach your full potential. Take advantage of our unbeatable offers and discounts on the latest styles.

afrozeh 14 Mar 02:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Browse our range and find the perfect formal dresses from Afrozeh to express your unique style and grace on those memorable occasions.

ECS 14 Mar 02:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Shop the latest Party Dresses from ECS! Discover a stunning collection of styles, sizes, and colors to make your next event unforgettable. Get ready to turn heads and steal the show with our latest collection of party dresses. Order now.

theentertainer 14 Mar 03:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Shop at The Entertainer for a wide range of color pencil box options. Find everything you need to express your creativity and bring your imagination to life.

Chahyay 14 Mar 03:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Shop the latest collection of formal dresses at Chahyay. Find stunning designs and styles to make a statement at any formal event.

Nishat 14 Mar 03:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Discover a wide range of stylish and fashionable ladies bags in pakistan at Nishat Linen. Browse our collection and find the perfect bag to complement your style.

ammarakhan 14 Mar 04:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Discover the exquisite world of Ammara Khan's bridal couture dresses. From ravishing Pakistani bridal dresses to elegant bridal dresses for barat and mesmerizing bridal shower dresses, Ammara Khan has it all. Explore our collection and make your special day truly unforgettable.

declare 14 Mar 04:53  

Bike:

My Profile

Shop the latest collection of handbags for women at Declare. Discover fashionable and high-quality designs to complement any outfit.

herbeauty 14 Mar 05:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Discover the secrets of night mask for beautiful and glowing skin. Enhance your beauty routine with our high-quality night masks.

hangten 14 Mar 06:10  

Bike:

My Profile
Discover the best casual clothing brands in Pakistan with Hang Ten. Explore our stylish and comfortable collection that helps you with confidence.

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.